Hemorrhoids, also called piles, is a common condition that can afflict anyone at least once before they turn 70 years old. Pregnant women and nursing mothers are especially prone to this problem. This is characterized by the swelling of veins and tissues located in the rectum and the inner and outer part of the anal canal, leading to:
- Extreme discomfort around the anal area when sitting
- Pain during defecation
- Specks of bright-colored blood in the stool
- Palpable tender lumps around the anus
- Anal itching
Why Does Childbirth Lead to Hemorrhoids?
Women undergo several bodily changes during pregnancy and after delivery. These changes are the core cause of the development of hemorrhoids. Some of the major causes for hemorrhoids in pregnancy are:
- Pressure from the growing baby: This pressure leads to the enlargement of the anal veins.
- Hormonal changes in the body: Progesterone levels in the body rises significantly. This makes the gastrointestinal tract sluggish, resulting in increased intestinal absorption of water from the waste. This hardens the stools, leading to constipation.
- Reduced physical activity: During pregnancy, women tend to reduce their physical activity, leading to increase constipation.
What Are the Effective Treatments for Hemorrhoids in Nursing Mothers?
Many nursing mothers avoid taking medications, due to concerns regarding the affect of drugs on the child. Such mothers can use various home and natural remedies to treat hemorrhoids:
- Are free from side effects
- Provide a long lasting and non-surgical solution
- Enter the bloodstream to facilitate comfortable bowel movement
- Restore normal blood flow to the rectum area
- Act as a natural anesthetic
- Provide instant relief from pain and discomfort
- Offer immediate relief from skin irritation caused by damaged rectal tissues
- Accelerate healing of torn and damaged tissues in the rectal area
Essentials oils: Essential oils, such as peppermint oil and lavender oil, consist of botanical vitamins, hormones and antibiotics, all of which help in eliminating hemorrhoids. These oils are 75-100 times more concentrated than dried herbs. Since these oils are highly potent, only a small amount is needed to provide relief.
- Are natural treatments safe for lactating mothers and babies
- Stop bleeding instantly
- Provide instant relief from pain
- Reduce swelling and heal hemorrhoids
Lactating mothers must also increase their fiber intake, since fiber softens and increases the bulk of the stool. This helps in easy bowel movements, and prevents hemorrhoids.
This article was originally published by Gardner Wilkinson.