Natural Asthma Treatment For Babies And Toddlers
Witnessing an asthma attack in your child can be one of the most frightening things you experience as a parent. Here are some natural asthma treatments for babies and toddlers to help relieve your little one in their time of need.
Finding the right information as a parent can sometimes be overwhelming and it is our hope, here at Baby Cures, that the information below helps
At least half the cases of asthma seem to be caused or aggravated by an allergy. The child may be sensitive to pollen or dust or to certain foods or drugs. Some asthma seem to result from infections of the organs of breathing (e.g colds), the child having become sensitive to the products of the germs causing the infection.
You know there is an asthma attack when you see your child sitting bolt upright in bed with his arms extended at his sides, pressing downward against the bed and his skin appears blue because he is not able to breathe the normal amount of air. You can hear wheezing and the large veins of his neck are conspicuous, his heart “pounds” at a rapid rate. What happens is that there is interference with the passage of air through the membrane-lined tubes which serve the lungs. These tubes become swollen and congested and there is more difficulty in expelling air from the lungs than drawing it in.
As parents, you may take some comfort in the knowledge that though such circumstances may be terrifying, children seldom die as a direct result. However when attacks are repeated time after time, the child’s general health declines, possibly with permanent damage to lung tissues.
Immediate Home Treatments For Toddler’s Mild Attacks:
- Try giving the child a hot drink of milk or plain hot water. This may relax the tissues in the air passages.
- Steam inhalation accompanied by a hot foot bath may bring relief. If no mechanical vaporizer is available, you may conduct steam from a pan of boiling water through a paper cone. Care must be taken not to burn the face and to ensure a supply of fresh air.
- If these remedies do not relieve the attack, call a physician or take him to the hospital.
Long Range Natural Treatments For Infants:
From birth to 6 months, breast milk is the optimum food in order to prevent asthma. Full time breast feeding will build a strong immune system. Some of the special substances in breast milk are designed to protect your infant’s intestinal tract from infection, enhance overall defenses and help the immune system strengthen and mature.
What Not To Take While Breast-Feeding:
- cough syrups containing iodine
- nicotine (do not smoke)
Rub flaxseed oil or walnut oil into his skin. A teaspoon will anoint your infant’s entire body. It contains a mixture of omega-3’s and omega-6’s to build the immune system.
Long Range Natural Treatments For Toddlers:
- Avoid contact with the offending substances such as pollens, house dust, feather pillows and pets.
- Extremes of cold and of humidity should be avoided.
- Put your child on a low-sugar healthy diet.
- If there is a history of antibiotics or cortisone use, check for yeast problem and treat this with yeast-elimination diet. (limit natural sugar including dried fruits, commercial fruit juices, malt and vinegar contained in pickles, catsup, mustard, mayonnaise and dressings. Keep your child on “safe foods” for five days then reintroduce gradually.
- The following supplements have been found to play a definite role in asthma and if given daily may prevent attacks.
- Fatty acids (1/2 to 1 tbsp. cod-liver oil)
- Vitamin C (1 to 2 grams)
- Vitamin B-6 (100 to 200 mg
This article was originally published by Ellen Berces.